The Perfect Sandwich for #NationalSandwichDay
For most, every weekday is ‘sandwich day’. You’re sat at your desk on your lunch break with your usual bland sandwich and cup of tea. Not today however - for today is #NationalSandwichDay!
In honour of #NationalSandwichDay we thought we would seek some extra inspiration for today’s lunchtime spread. And thanks to Tesco, we have found the perfect sandwich that we think will be a real hit – egg in a hole with spicy bacon and guacamole.
So go on, get in to the kitchen and rustle up these magnificent Mexican inspired sandwiches. They are super easy to prepare and feed four people.
4 bagels (Do bagels even pass for a sandwich? We're not 100% sure, but we know they taste good)
1 lime, juiced
8 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 tsp chipotle chilli and paprika paste
4 tsp maple syrup
12 rashers streaky bacon
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
2. Ensure your bagel holes are big enough for one egg. If not, cut away some of the centre.
3. Smash up your avocado along with the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Stir in the tomatoes.
4. Combine the maple syrup and chipotle paste. Stir well.
5. Place rashers of bacon on a lined tray, brushing one side with the half chilli-maple paste. Bake for 10 minutes until crisp, then turn over and brush the other side with the remaining paste. Bake for a further 5-7 minutes.
6.Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof frying pan set over a high heat, toast the cut sides of the 4 bagel bases for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Remove and spread with the guacamole.
7.Preheat the grill to high. Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the bagel tops, cut-side down. Break an egg into each hole and cook for 10-12 minutes, and then put the pan under the grill, until the tops are cooked to your liking.
8. Put 3 bacon rashers on each base, then sandwich with the eggy bagel top and season.
9. Serve & Enjoy!